Thursday, October 20, 2005

This half life

Most people who write about twins are not twins. They write from a perspective of study, often, a journalistic eye cast on something they won’t fully understand. Occasionally a creative writer takes the topic up for fiction. But they are always outside looking in. Rarely have I had a chance to see my own face represented, to hear stories like my sister’s and mine from writers who know what it means to be a twin.

Writers tend to get caught in the lines of cliché, stereotype, patness. They like the stories of twins who wear identical clothes, are impossible to distinguish, where both marry guys named Ed and always wear purple and live next door to each other and collect unicorn figurines. I meet some twins like this; mostly I meet twins like my sister and I, those with differences physical and emotional, who seek their own identities. Who like being a twin, but don’t think of it as their sole identity.

I spent my life like this, as so many of my twin friends did — searching for my own self, apart from being “the twins.” Someone with a distinct name, not one alliterative burst crammed together with an and. Someone whose abilities and talents were different from my twin’s, but complementary. I was eager to stand alone, be recognized for who I was. Who I was. But it’s not exotic or story-worthy to talk about such twins; we’re not much different than any other very close siblings who look a great deal alike. At least, I think it’s not interesting to outsiders driven by the image of otherworldliness twins provide.

We were not mirror images, the way so many people think of twins. We didn’t hold a hand up to the mirror to see it match perfectly on the other side. Even if we had been mirror images, we wouldn’t have wanted to be. We knew we were twins, didn’t need to show it to the rest of the world. Instead we were split in the middle, two sides of a coin, halves of a whole. Karen went one way, I went the other. We could still stick that hand out, only rather than a mirror showing me that hand placed against mine in perfect replication, we encountered each other’s hands, a left and a right, and held them there together when it suited us. Even though we’d gone different ways, I could look in a mirror and see, not her face reflecting, but my own, Karen standing behind me, just at the edge of my shoulder. A hand like mine was always there, waiting for when it was needed, in the space between us.

Now, though, there is no other hand to grab on to, hold on for comfort, guide me. There’s nothing there but dead space, cold air, darkness. I keep reaching out my hand but nothing touches me back. The only side of the coin is mine; there is a half-person, falling, falling. Unable to stay upright because there is no balance to be found with so much of me missing.

It would have been so easy if we could have been those cliché twins. She could have understood the things I didn’t say, the agony I felt for her but never had the chance to express. She would have known because we would have had a secret language like story-worthy twins share, or the telepathic communication everyone wanted, as I was growing up, to believe all twins have. I would not be left with the burden of unspoken love and fear and dread. And maybe, just maybe, I might have been some comfort in her last excruciating hours. But she didn’t know, and couldn’t hear me. We relied on words, like regular people. We were not special and mysterious and different. I needed to be in those last days, but couldn’t.

We were never really apart, no matter how much space or irritation or exasperation separated us. It was always our birthday, we remember, let’s do this. You always know there is that person, just off your shoulder in the mirror, who is you. When that half of you is gone, the mirror is such a black, empty space, and you fall into it, no hand to pull you back up.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful, and powerful. The last lines in particular just knock me flat.

Welcome to the blogosphere. I look really forward to reading your thoughtful prose.

Anonymous said...

I don't know if I told you this, but my mother is a twin. She has an older-by-an-hour brother who, all of my life, has lived in another state. And I've always been uncomfortable around him because when my mother is around him, she's different in ways I still can't quite put my finger on.

She's told me a lot about what it's been like for her as a twin, but the most fascinating thing for me was the last time my uncle was in town. He was here for a class reunion, & he kept talking about how long they had left--& the number kept getting bigger, as I recall. *g* "We're the oldest generation now; we've only got another ten years left," another twenty, another thirty. After he'd gone to the reunion, I said to my mother, "OK, so what's this 'we' business? I mean, I know you came into the world together, but does that mean you're going out of it together, too?" My mother's response was a look of utter shock. It upset my uncle even more when my mother asked him the same question later that night.

I hope this isn't inappropriate, or upsetting, and if you want to delete it, it won't hurt my feelings.

Anonymous said...

Just checking in to say interested, and reading.

Kris

Cynthia said...

I'm over here, looking over your shoulder, glad you've found a venue for sharing what you need to share.

Anonymous said...

I love it when you write what you want to write. This was very powerful and lovely, and a great first post. Thanks for letting me read.

Anonymous said...

Jan said Thank you for your wondereful writing. I am a twinless twin and all you write is how I feel. My twin was my best friend and person I loved most in life. Life is not the same for me and my twin was taken from me and it was so traumatic. I live as best I can now but he pain and emptiness never goes. I am Australian. Thank you again

Anonymous said...

I didn't say goodbye to my twin. She was killed instantly in an accident 7 months ago, aged 44, 3 weeks before our birthday in March. To watch her suffer like you did yours? I don't think so, but oh not to have had one last hug, one last kiss. Love, I didn't need to declare. It was the glue between us always. Your writing enabled me to feel and to grieve - I will save it for later when I'm alone. Thank you.

vmh said...

This is truly beautiful and sad. I am sorry for your continuing loss.
Vicky